As photographers, we understand the significance of selecting the right gear to meet our creative aspirations. One such piece of equipment that deserves our attention is the Sony a7III. This popular full-frame mirrorless camera is recognized for its exceptional performance, adaptability, and overall versatility.
But as important as the camera body is, we shouldn’t overlook the significance of choosing the ideal lenses to complement it. In this blog post, we will help you identify the best lenses for Sony a7III to suit various photography needs, styles, and budgets.
From prime and zoom lenses to specialty lenses designed for portrait, macro, or even video shooting, the wide variety of lenses available can be both exhilarating and daunting. But fret not – we are here to help you navigate this world of lenses, providing valuable insights and recommendations to get the most out of your Sony a7III. Remember, the right lens can truly elevate your photography game, no matter your preferred genre or style.
So, whether you’re a seasoned pro or an enthusiastic beginner looking to expand your lens collection, let’s embark on this journey together as we uncover the best lenses for Sony a7III!
The Sony a7III really shines when paired with the right prime lenses, which offer outstanding image quality, high contrast, and a beautiful background blur. As a full-frame mirrorless camera with exceptional capabilities and a compact body, the Sony a7III is a match made in heaven for prime lenses.
Prime lenses, as their name suggests, have a fixed focal length, meaning they don’t zoom in or out like a zoom lens. Although this may sound like a limitation, prime lenses offer several advantages over their zoom counterparts.
Firstly, prime lenses are generally sharper and have fewer optical distortions. As a result, they produce more accurate color reproduction and higher resolution photos. Moreover, prime lenses are known for their wider apertures, which allow more light to enter the sensor and in turn, deliver better low-light performance. The wide aperture also helps to achieve a shallow depth of field, giving us that coveted creamy bokeh effect.
In this section, we will discuss the best prime lenses available for your Sony a7III, from budget-friendly picks to top-notch professional lenses, covering a wide range of focal lengths and photography styles. Let’s dive in!
Best 35mm Prime Lenses
Budget option: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE
This affordable lens still delivers sharp images with minimal distortion. Its compact size and light weight make it a perfect companion for street photography and travel. With a decent f/2.8 aperture, this lens works well in low-light situations and offers a good separation between subjects and background.
Where to Buy: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE
Mid-range option: Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
Stepping up in terms of quality and price, the Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 is an excellent all-around lens for your Sony a7III. The image quality is impressive, with sharpness and contrast that stand out even at the widest aperture. The fast, quiet autofocus and highly effective image stabilization make this lens a solid choice for both photography and video capture.
Where to Buy: Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
High-end option: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Arguably one of the best 35mm lenses in the market, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art offers exceptional sharpness, vivid colors, and minimal chromatic aberration. It has a superb build quality and solid performance, making it a prime choice for photographers looking for a top-tier lens.
Where to Buy: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Best 50mm Prime Lenses
Budget option: Sony FE 50mm f/1.8
Dubbed as the “Nifty Fifty,” this budget-friendly lens boasts impressive image quality and bright, saturated colors. With a wide f/1.8 aperture, it performs well in low-light scenarios and delivers visually pleasing background blur.
Mid-range option: Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2
This manual-focus lens offers outstanding build quality and optical performance. It delivers sharp images with snappy contrast and accurate colors. With a de-clickable aperture, it’s also suitable for video applications where smooth transitions between aperture settings are needed.
High-end option: Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Planar T*
A true gem among the 50mm primes, the Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Planar T* is a standout thanks to its impeccable sharpness, minimal distortion, and excellent bokeh. The build quality, autofocus speed, and overall performance justify the investment made by demanding professionals and enthusiasts alike.
Best 85mm Prime Lenses
Budget option: Sony FE 85mm f/1.8
The Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 is a fantastic budget-friendly portrait lens that performs exceptionally well on the a7III. With its wide aperture, smooth and accurate autofocus, and beautiful bokeh, this lens is perfect for capturing striking portraits even in low-light situations.
Mid-range option: Rokinon/Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 FE
This lens offers remarkable image sharpness and vibrant colors at a reasonable price. The f/1.4 aperture creates a dreamy, shallow depth of field that will surely enhance your portrait work. The build quality and performance are impressive for its price range.
High-end option: Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM
Sony’s G Master series lenses are known for their exceptional optical and mechanical quality. The 85mm f/1.4 GM is no exception; offering stunning resolution, beautiful bokeh, and outstanding low-light performance, making it one of the best lenses for Sony a7III in the portrait category. It’s a fantastic investment for serious photographers who aim to achieve peak performance from their gear.
Best 135mm Prime Lens
Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art
The Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art is an extraordinary lens with a relatively long focal length that offers unique opportunities for portrait, wedding, and event photographers. It provides superb sharpness, creamy bokeh, and impressive contrast levels even at its widest aperture. Although it’s a hefty lens, the outstanding image quality and exceptional performance justify the investment for those who want to elevate their photography.
In conclusion, prime lenses enable you to extract the full potential of your Sony a7III, from the detailed and sharp results to the excellent low-light performance. These lenses offer superb versatility and consistent quality, making them an essential ingredient in any photographer’s toolkit.
Zoom lenses are an essential part of any photographer’s kit, as they provide incredible versatility and convenience. These lenses allow you to cover a broad range of focal lengths within a single lens, making it easier to capture various subjects without constantly switching lenses. For Sony a7III users, the market offers a plethora of options, catering to different requirements and budgets. It’s worth exploring the zoom lens category to find the perfect lens that complements your existing prime lenses.
In this section, we’ll delve into the different types of zoom lenses available for the Sony a7III and list some of the best options according to their features, focal length range, and image quality. We’ll also discuss telephoto zoom lenses for subjects that demand greater reach and wide-angle zoom lenses for capturing expansive scenes.
Best Telephoto Zoom Lens
Using a telephoto lens is highly advantageous for photographers who want to capture distant subjects or bring a sense of intimacy to their shots. These telephoto lenses excel in sports, wildlife, and even portrait photography, providing excellent image quality and stunning bokeh.
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS: It’s hard to go wrong with the incredible telephoto lens, the Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS. It’s one of the most versatile telephoto lenses with a fast f/2.8 maximum aperture. This lens offers an optical design with two extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and one XA element that helps reduce chromatic aberrations and ensures edge-to-edge sharpness. The fast aperture makes it perfect for low light conditions, while the integrated Optical SteadyShot image stabilization counteracts camera shake, especially when shooting handheld. Its 11-blade circular aperture contributes to smooth, creamy bokeh, and the lens’ durable build ensures optimum performance in harsh weather conditions.
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS: For those looking for a more affordable alternative telephoto lens without sacrificing significant quality, the Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS is an excellent choice. It has a constant f/4 aperture, making it lighter and more compact than its f/2.8 counterpart, while still providing impressive sharpness and color rendition. The lens features image stabilization and fast autofocus performance, ensuring your shots are consistently well-captured even when working with high-speed subjects.
- Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS: If you need an even longer reach with a telephoto lens, the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS provides superb image quality and performance. The lens exhibits minimal distortion and aberrations, thanks to the inclusion of a variety of specialized glass elements. With a 3.22-foot (0.98 meters) minimum focus distance, it’s also a versatile option for capturing distant wildlife subjects and sports action. Its inbuilt image stabilization and quick autofocus make for consistently sharp images, while its dust and moisture resistant design ensures reliability in challenging weather conditions.
Best Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Wide-angle lenses enable photographers to capture expansive scenes, making them perfect for landscapes, architecture, and event photography. Offering a broad field of view, these lenses allow you to immerse your audience within the photo’s context.
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM: The Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM is a premium wide-angle zoom lens that delivers outstanding image quality, edge-to-edge sharpness, and beautiful bokeh. Its fast maximum aperture ensures excellent low light performance, as well as the ability to separate your subject from the background. The well-rounded 11-blade diaphragm and inclusion of XA, aspherical, and ED elements contribute to capturing striking images with minimal distortion. The focus hold button, dust and moisture-resistant design, and instant manual focus override make it a user-friendly and durable lens for professionals and enthusiasts alike.
- Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G: For those in search of an ultra-wide angle zoom lens, look no further than the Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G. Its constant f/4 aperture, impressive image quality, and minimal distortion make it a fantastic option for architecture, interior, and landscape photography. The lens also offers fast and accurate autofocus, ensuring that your shots are consistently crisp and clear. The internal focusing system is silent and smooth, making it a suitable option for both stills and video.
- Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD: Lastly, we have the budget-friendly Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD, a wide-angle zoom option that offers excellent bang for your buck. Its constant f/2.8 aperture allows for low light shooting and provides a shallow depth of field when needed. The lens features Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive (RXD) autofocus motor, ensuring quick and precise autofocus performance. With its compact, lightweight design and dust and moisture-resistant construction, the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 is an ideal companion for those who value portability without sacrificing image quality.
To summarize, the range of zoom lenses available for the Sony a7III is extensive, with options to suit varying needs and budgets. By investing in a high-quality telephoto or wide-angle zoom lens, you can seamlessly complement your existing prime lenses, enabling you to tackle various shooting situations with confidence and ease. Don’t hesitate to explore these options further to find the perfect zoom lens for your Sony a7III.
In the world of photography, there are certain lenses that are designed for particular situations or to create unique effects. These specialty lenses can be a valuable addition to the arsenal of any Sony a7III owner, offering countless creative possibilities. In this section, we will explore some of these specialty lenses, such as macro lenses and ultra-wide-angle lenses, while highlighting their unique features and the specific use cases they excel in.
Best Macro Lens
Macro lenses are specifically designed for close-up photography, enabling photographers to capture intricate details of small subjects such as flowers, insects, or product images. These lenses are ideal for photographers with a keen interest in macro photography, as they provide the ability to focus on subjects up close, revealing fine details and textures that typically cannot be captured using a standard lens.
When searching for the best macro lens for your Sony a7III, it’s important to consider factors such as optimal focus distance, image quality, and image stabilization (if available). One highly recommended option is the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS lens. With its 1:1 magnification ratio, razor-sharp image quality, and built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, this lens is highly regarded as an excellent option for macro shooting. The f/2.8 aperture allows for beautiful bokeh and performs well in low-light situations.
Another option to consider is the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art lens. Being part of Sigma’s renowned Art series, this lens delivers outstanding image quality while offering a closer minimum focus distance than the Sony FE 90mm. The build quality is excellent, and the focal length makes it a versatile lens for both macro and portrait photography. However, this lens lacks image stabilization, so it may require a tripod for optimal sharpness when shooting handheld.
Best Ultra-Wide Angle Lens
Ultra-wide-angle lenses are advantageous for capturing expansive scenes such as landscapes, architecture, or tight interior spaces where a conventional wide-angle lens may not suffice. These lenses typically have short focal lengths and a wide field of view, allowing photographers to encompass a vast portion of the scene in a single frame.
For those seeking the best ultra-wide-angle lens for their Sony a7III, the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM is an exceptional choice. This lens is a part of Sony’s esteemed G Master lineup, known for its outstanding image quality, build, and performance. With a versatile focal range of 16-35mm and an aperture of f/2.8, this lens delivers impressive sharpness, edge-to-edge performance, and a shallow depth of field when desired. The fast aperture also enables better low-light performance, making it suitable for various shooting environments.
Another option worth considering is the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD lens. This lens offers a slightly more limited focal range compared to the Sony FE 16-35mm but comes at a more budget-friendly price point. It excels in image quality, sharpness, and low-light performance with its consistent f/2.8 aperture. The RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) motor ensures smooth and quiet autofocus performance, making it suitable for both still photography and video work.
In summary, specialty lenses are an excellent addition to your collection of lenses for the Sony a7III. Whether you’re delving into the world of close-up photography with a macro lens, or capturing vast landscapes and architectural marvels with an ultra-wide-angle lens, these lenses will open the door to unique perspectives and creative possibilities in your photography.Investing in these lenses will depend on your particular interests and style, but their specialized features and performance make them valuable tools for any Sony a7III owner.
Low Light Performance Lenses
Picture a romantic candlelight dinner, an incredible skyline at night, or the captivating glimmer of stars in a clear sky. These scenes evoke a sense of wonder, but they can also be quite challenging to capture due to limitations in natural light. That’s where the importance of selecting lenses that perform well in low light conditions for the Sony a7III comes into play.
Having a lens with good low light performance allows you to shoot in dimly lit environments or capture nightscapes without having to pump up the ISO and risk introducing noise to your images. Also, a fast lens with a wide aperture ensures you can beautifully capture the atmosphere and mood of various low light situations, such as concerts, parties, or street scenes at dusk.
In this section, I’ll be recommending lenses that excel in low light, discussing their specific features like wide aperture, fast autofocus performance, and image stabilization. These lenses will help you make the most of the Sony a7III’s remarkable low light capabilities.
Best General Use Low Light Lens
Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM: For low light photography, a wide aperture is a critical factor to consider. The Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM is an excellent prime lens featuring a fast, wide aperture of f/1.4, which allows it to gather more light and produce sharper images with a shallow depth of field. It’s a versatile lens suitable for various settings, whether you’re photographing cityscapes, astrophotography, or environmental portraits. The Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor (DDSSM) ensures fast and accurate autofocus, while the 11-blade circular aperture produces beautiful bokeh, which will make your low light shots stand out. Its top-notch build quality and weather sealing also make it a reliable option for outdoor nighttime shoots.
Best Low Light Zoom Lens
Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM: A zoom lens with excellent low light performance, the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM stands out due to its constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range. This allows for incredible versatility, enabling you to shoot wide-angle landscapes and cityscapes without compromising on image quality. The quick and accurate autofocus delivered by the DDSSM motor makes it easy to focus in low light conditions. The lens is also optically stabilized, which can be an essential factor when shooting handheld in challenging light circumstances. The solid build quality, weather sealing, and renowned G Master optics make it a worthwhile investment.
Best Low Light Prime Lens for Portraits
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8: A prime lens with a superb low light performance, the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 is an excellent choice for portrait photography due to its bright f/1.8 aperture, which allows for a beautiful separation between your subject and background. The 85mm focal length provides a flattering perspective for portraiture, and its fast autofocus combined with optical stabilization ensures sharp images even in dimly lit situations. Affordable and compact, this lens is an outstanding option for photographers seeking a portrait lens for their Sony a7III that excels in low light.
Best Low Light Lens for Street Photography
Sony Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon: For street photographers in search of a lens that performs exceptionally in low light, the Sony Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon is hard to beat. The wide f/1.4 aperture allows for quick and accurate focus in dark conditions, while the lens’s 35mm focal length provides a flexible perspective, perfect for various street photography scenarios. The Zeiss T* coating reduces flare and ghosting, leading to better contrast and clarity when shooting against bright light sources. Its robust build and weather sealing add to its appeal for street photographers who tend to shoot in various conditions.
Choosing the right lens for low light photography can make a world of difference in your images’ quality and the overall shooting experience. With the Sony a7III and one or more of these recommended low light lenses, you’ll be in an ideal position to capture those stunning nighttime scenes, regardless of the challenges that come with limited natural light. Happy shooting, and may the light be ever in your favor!
As a photographer, you might also be keen on exploring the world of videography, especially since the Sony a7III has gained popularity for its impressive video capabilities. Choosing the right video lens for the Sony a7III is crucial in order to maximize the camera’s potential and achieve the best possible video quality. In this section, we will discuss the essential features to consider when selecting a video lens for your Sony a7III and provide some recommendations for the best video lens options available in the market.
When it comes to video lenses, three key features play a significant role in determining the overall performance and quality of your videos: image stabilization, smooth autofocus performance, and sharp image quality. Let’s delve deeper into each feature and how they can impact your video shooting experience.
- Image Stabilization: One of the primary challenges while shooting videos is camera shake, which can lead to unstable and jittery footage. A lens with built-in image stabilization helps counteract this issue, providing a smooth and stable video output. It is especially valuable when shooting handheld or in challenging conditions where it is difficult to maintain a steady grip on the camera.
- Smooth Autofocus Performance: When filming video, a lens that delivers quick, silent, and smooth autofocus is invaluable. You want to be able to track and focus on moving subjects efficiently without any audible noise or abrupt focus transitions. Look for lenses that feature silent autofocus motors and reliable tracking capabilities.
- Sharp Image Quality: Lastly, you will want to ensure that the lens you select produces sharp, detailed video footage. A clear and crisp video output will provide a professional and polished look to your videos. Keep an eye out for video lenses that excel in delivering optimal sharpness across the entire frame, as well as controlling distortion and chromatic aberration.
With these features in mind, let’s explore some of the top choices for video lenses that are compatible with the Sony a7III:
- Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS: This versatile zoom lens provides a useful range of focal lengths, making it suitable for various video situations. With its built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, this lens delivers smooth footage even when shooting handheld. Moreover, the Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS boasts a silent Direct Drive SSM (Super Sonicwave Motor) autofocus system, ensuring quiet and precise focusing during video recording.
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM: For those looking to capture sweeping landscapes or architectural videography, the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM is an excellent option. This wide-angle zoom lens features a fast f/2.8 aperture, providing enhanced low light performance and shallow depth of field control. Its Direct Drive SSM autofocus system guarantees smooth and silent focusing, while the lens’s dust and moisture resistance enhance its durability during outdoor shoots.
- Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art: Sigma’s 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art lens is another solid option, known for its remarkable sharpness and image quality. This lens, designed specifically for mirrorless cameras, covers a versatile focal range suited for various video shooting scenarios. The Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art lens also features a stepping motor for fast and accurate autofocus performance, and its wide aperture makes it a good choice for low light situations.
These are just a few examples of the excellent video lens options available for the Sony a7III. Depending on your specific videography needs and preferences, other lenses might also be well suited for shooting video. Be sure to consider the key features highlighted in this section, along with factors like focal length and aperture, when selecting the perfect video lens to complement your Sony a7III.
Choosing the best lenses for Sony a7III is crucial to getting the most out of this exceptional full-frame mirrorless camera. In this article, we’ve discussed the best lenses for Sony a7III across different categories, catering to the diverse interests and needs of photographers. From prime lenses to zoom lenses, and specialty lenses like macro and ultra-wide-angle lenses, we hope this guide has provided insightful recommendations to enhance your photography journey.
Additionally, we have delved into the importance of selecting lenses with excellent low light performance and the key features to look for when choosing lenses for video shooting. These factors can play a significant role in capturing high-quality images across various environments and conditions.
In summary, the right lens can dramatically influence your overall photography experience, and the Sony a7III is a versatile camera deserving of a suitable quality lens. Let this guide be your starting point, helping you make informed decisions when selecting a lens for your specific preferences, budget, and needs. With the right lens or combination of lenses, you can take your photography skills to new heights, creating images and videos that truly captivate the essence of the subjects you capture.